Tuesday, May 08, 2007

My First Post


Well...here it is my first post. I am at a loss as to what I should write about but perhaps I should write something that might give insight to who I am without being that typical autobiographical type stuff.


I will do this by talking about a book in the bible. Now I tremble at this idea because I am of no authority to discuss such things because I am so new in my Christian walk. But what brought me here, however was a life time in the making. So I will at least talk about this book from the point I know so well; how it relates to me and people like me. The book I want to use as an introduction of me is the book of Ephisians. I really got an appreciantion for this book by reading a book by Watchman Nee called "Sit, Walk, Stand".


The Ephesians’ church had been planted through Paul’s influence, and for a few years he had served as its pastor. This church thrived in a city renowned as a center for the worship of the goddess Artemis (also known as Diana). While Paul was there, the Ephesian believers maintained a strong attachment to him, and when he left they openly expressed their sorrow.

How could the Ephesian church survive for the long haul in it hostile environment? They could not depend on Paul’s presence forever, with God’s help they would have to learn to stand on their own. Paul wrote this letter to remind the Ephesian believers to place their faith in the only solid foundation for healthy living -- God.

How can we maintain our recovery in a hostile environment? None of us have the resources or strength to initiate and sustain our recovery alone. Paul asserted one important fact: We can change! But our transformation is possible only on God’s terms. We can recover if we break with our former way of life and depend on God’s power to help us change. While programs and supportive people are helpful. Lasting recovery happens only when we recognize our need for a higher power-the God who created us and sustains our life.

Belief in God and obedience to his will are keys to a genuine, stable recovery. If we adopt an attitude of submissions to God’s authority and care, and our attitudes and actions reflect God’s truth, we will indeed make progress. Recovery that ignores God is doomed to failure; recovery that depends on God will succeed.


My hope for this and future blogs is that I do God's will.


Thanks for reading.

7 comments:

Leo said...

Lemming? NOT! Welcome to the blogosphere! I suppose anyone who writes about Watchman Nee cannot be bad so I'll give you a try! My favorite by this Chinese Saint is "The Normal Christian Life" very powerful stuff!

Dawn said...

Welcome to the blogosphere! I look forward to reading more about your opinions and experiences.

Unforced Rhythms of Grace said...

Thank you both (Leo and Dawn) for the warm welcomes.

Andrew, Bridget, Walker, and Josie said...

Welcome! Like Leo and Dawn, I look forward to reading what you write.

Leo said...

What did Watchman Nee mean by Sit, Walk, and Stand?

Unforced Rhythms of Grace said...

Hey Leo,

What Nee meant was simply stages of our Christian development. Before we anything we sit, taking that time to learn and understand God. Then we walk and do God's will. Finally, we stand in the battlefield that undoubtly will come at us. He takes these words directly from Paul in the order that Paul had presented in the book of Ephesians. If you have not read the book, you will enjoy it. I will have to get "The Normal Christian Life". I enjoy his writing and his insights.

Leo said...

I'll have to add it to my list.